GOTS Certified Entities Increase By 21 Per Cent Globally, India Tops List
There has been a substantial increase in the number of entities certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard, where there were about 3,814 entities in 2015, as compared to 4,642 last year, thus an increase of 21 per cent
Photo Credit : Umesh Goswami,
There has been a substantial increase in the number of entities certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), where there were about 3,814 entities in 2015, as compared to 4,642 last year, thus an increase of 21 per cent. With GOTS certified entities spread across 63 countries, the countries with the most GOTS certified entities are – India (1,488), Turkey (423), Germany (347), Bangladesh (331), China (269), Italy (195), Pakistan (172), Portugal (96), Korea (61) and Japan (58).
• Review of bookkeeping in order to verify flow of GOTS goods (input/output reconciliation, mass balance calculation and trace back lots and shipments)
• Assessment of the processing and storage system through of visits to the applicable facilities
• Assessment of the separation and identification system and identification of areas of risk to organic integrity
• Inspection of the chemical inputs (dyes and auxiliaries) and accessories used and assessment of their compliance with the applicable criteria of the GOTS
• Inspection of the waste water (pre-)treatment system of wet processors and assessment of its performance.
• Check on social criteria (possible sources of information: interview with management, confidential interviews with workers, personnel documents, physical on-site inspection, unions/stakeholders)
• Verification of the operator’s risk assessment of contamination and residue testing policy potentially including sample drawing for residue testing either as random sampling or in case of suspicion of contamination or non-compliance
“The Indian textile industry is making large strides in both domestic and international arenas. Consistent growth of GOTS certified facilities in the country also signifies the growing focus of Indian entrepreneurs on social and environment compliances, besides delivering high quality products. I am glad to report this growth and shall keep working to take this further,” says Sumit Gupta, regional representative of India and Bangladesh and deputy technical director of GOTS.